There are many great books for stylist but if I had to choose these are my top five:
1. The Science of Black Hair: A Comprehensive Guide to Textured Hair Care by Davis-Sivasothy, Audrey. This book is technically detailed and covers everything from maintaining optimal heir health, which shampoos to use, to growing longer and healthier hair. There is a special salon version that features full color photographs and color tab organization.
2. Make a Six Figure Income Doing Hair: How To Do It, Really. by Alan Daniels (Oct 10, 2012). Although this book is not about the process of cutting and styling hair, it is still one every stylist should read. Lets face it, we would all like to make a six figure income as a stylist but how realistic is this dream? Alan Daniels explains exactly how to build and maintain a thriving client base, everything from using humor with clients to tracking your business. It is not easy but Daniels gives you the tools to leap ahead of the competition and significantly increase your earning power.
3. How to Create the Perfect Cut, Shape, Color, and Perm for Any Hair Type: Secrets and Techniques from a Master… by Easterly, Cosmo (Aug 3, 2009). Cutting hair is all about Hello yes I tried and inspiration. Understanding how to read and work with different types of hair can take a whole career. Not only does this book cover every aspect of styling hair, it also goes into depth on how to talk with clients and build a strong client base. Written by Cosmo Easterly, this book is a must read for any stylist no matter their experience.
4. Good to Great Hair: Celebrity Hairstyling Techniques Made Simple by Vetica, Robert, Hayek, Salma and Messing, Debra (Jan 1, 2009). Celebrity hair stylist Robert Vetica dives into the work of celebrity style with this fascinating book and reveals the tips and secrets celebrities use to get their astonishing looks. Every client that walks into a salon secretly wants to look like a star. Vetica does a good job of explaining how to use these celebrity techniques on the average person to give them the best look possible. Before and after photos help customers pick the best hair style for the shape of their particular face.
5. Hair-Styling Tips and Tricks for Girls (American Girl) (American Girl Library) by American Girl Editors (Sep 1, 2000). If you are a fan of the American Girl books that have swept the nation this book is absolutely for you. With over 40 great styles for young girls and teens from knots to pony tails to ballet buns, you can use this book as a guide for your younger female clients. This book is packed full of easy to follow instructions that you can teach your clients so that they can get the same results at home.
There are many great helpful hints for stylist on the web. As a stylist it is important to keep up to date on the latest trends and techniques.